(Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors)
The Senior Information and Assistance Program is the Snohomish County sponsor for the Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors (SHIBA) HelpLine. The SHIBA HelpLine is a free, confidential and impartial counseling resource sponsored by the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner. Volunteer advisors help consumers understand their rights and options, and offer up-to-date information so that the consumer can make an informed decision. SHIBA HelpLine volunteers are highly trained to counsel residents of all ages regarding their choices, options and problems with private health insurance, affordable prescription drugs, and many government programs (Medicare, Medicaid, Basic Health, Children's Health Insurance Program, and the Washington State Health Insurance Pool).
SHIBA HelpLine volunteers and staff are also trained to counsel people about Medigap coverage, employment-related health benefits, managed care, long-term care insurance, health care fraud/abuse, health care resources for low income people, and more.
SHIBA HelpLine can help you
• Find affordable health insurance, prescription drugs or health care for you and your family
• Learn about your rights and options
• Compare insurance plans and prices
• Understand government health programs
• Appeal a decision by your health plan
• Understand a bill from your doctor's office
SHIBA HelpLine is
• Completely FREE
• Confidential - your personal information is kept safe and private
• Accessible - some operators and volunteers are bi-lingual
• Impartial/objective/unbiased - we don't sell anything or endorse a product, plan or company over others
Be a SHIBA HelpLine volunteer
Help your friends, neighbors and family learn more about health insurance and public programs! Many volunteer opportunities available! SHIBAVolunteers receive 30 hours of basic health insurance training, monthly updates and ongoing supervision and support by a staff member of the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner. Please contact Volunteer Coordinator, Rochelle Salsman, at 425.514.3183 for more information.
Public presentation and seminars are available to your group and/or organization. Please contact us for more details or to schedule an appointment.
Senior Services of Snohomish County
11627 Airport Rd., Suite B
Everett, WA 98204-8714
Outside of Snohomish County call 800.562.6900
Visit the Washington State SHIBA web-site