Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels offers nutritious meals for homebound older adults age 60 and older throughout Snohomish County. Delicious frozen meals that are easy to heat are delivered directly to the home each week by caring and compassionate staff and volunteers. In addition, fresh fruits or vegetables will come with each delivery.
“My husband is in late stage Alzheimer's and many days I just cannot cook. The tasty MOW are really a lifesaver. 24/7 care is very difficult and these meals offer a welcome relief. Thank you.” Joan
Planned by Registered Dietitians, each meal has at least 1/3 of the daily nutritional requirements. And our selection of 35 meals offers a lot of choices for those we serve.
Meals are provided to adults who are age 60 and older, unable to leave home without assistance, and not able to prepare their own nutritious meals. In addition, younger spouses and disabled persons living in the home may also be eligible. Everyone is given the opportunity to donate for the meal – we suggest $2.50 per meal. We are thankful for all donations and put the proceeds right back into the program.
“I am so thankful to have the meals, I can now afford the medication I need and pay the utilities.” Jack
For those who want nutrition information and education, our Registered Dietitians can help. During a home visit, they can assist Meals on Wheels participants with making nutrition and lifestyle choices to promote good health.
“Being diabetic, since I started MOW my blood sugar level has been excellent. I am walking more and have lost 9 pounds. Please thank the dietitian for her help on nutrition.” Lila
To apply for Meals on Wheels, call 425.347.1229 or click on Application. Send the completed application and Menu Order Form to us via mail or fax (425.355.6875). Once the information is received and approved, we will call to schedule a meal delivery. Within the first two weeks, we’ll make a home visit to see how the meals are working out and determine if other services might be needed.
For Your Health
- Maintain a healthy weight – balance what you eat with physical activity.
- Aim for at least 30 minutes of regular physical activity each day.
- Choose a variety of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Eat at least 3 ounces of whole grain foods daily.
- Consume at least 3 cups of fat free or low fat dairy or their equivalent each day.
- Choose a diet low in saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, and added sugars.
- If you drink alcoholic beverages, do so in moderation.
Keep food safe to eat.
What us Ensure Plus®?
Ensure Plus® is a complete high calorie drink for people who need extra nutrition. It is a medical nutrition supplement intended for people who need to gain weight. Each 8 ounce serving provides 355 calories and 13 grams of protein. This product is appropriate for low sodium and low cholesterol diets. If you have had an unintentional weight loss of more than 10 pounds in the last 6 months it is important to share this information with your doctor. Talk with your doctor or dietitian if you have any health concerns regarding this supplement.
To have Ensure Plus® delivered to your home from Senior Services of Snohomish County's Nutrition Program you must meet the following criteria:
- Age 60 or older.
- Homebound and unable to leave home without assistance.
- Unable to prepare nutritious meals.
- Approval from the Dietitian at Meals on Wheels for this product.
A donation of $25 per case (24 cans) is requested. We accept cash, checks, money orders, and food stamps.
Nutritional Facts Regarding Ensure Plus®
- 355 calories per can - a high energy drink!
- High protein (13 grams) to support muscle mass.
- Appropriate for oral and tube feeding.
- Lactose free and gluten free.
- Available in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry flavors.
Using Ensure Plus®
- To get the most benefit from Ensure Plus®, follow these simple tips:
Start slowly. A period of adjustment may be needed for your body to get used to such a concentrated meal.
- If you find the Ensure Plus® too rich, try diluting by adding milk or soy milk.
- Store Ensure Plus® unopened at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Serve chilled for best flavor.
- Once opened, a can should be tightly covered, refrigerated, and used within 24 hours.
Senior Services of Snohomish County
Meals on Wheels
11627 Airport Rd., Suite B
Everett, WA 98204-8714